1. What is synthetic biology ? How is it different from Systems Biology / Chemical Biology / Genetic Engineering / Biotechnology ? Any alternative terminologies ?
2. Critically reviewing success stories in synthetic biology ever since the first paper by Stans Leibler group was published (Nature 2000).
3. Is rational design of biological systems less (or more) challenging than reductionist biology?
4. What is a Biobrick ? What can be constructed from Biobricks that cannot be constructed from non-Biobricks ?
5. What are the future business opportunities in synthetic biology ? What kind of technological developments are expected in DNA synthesis and chassis construction in the next 5-10 years ?
6. Are we ready for Computer Aided Design of organisms ?
7. Do we need IEEE equivalent standards in biology ? Does it make sense to talk of standardization in Biology ?
8. How does systems biology help in meeting the goals of synthetic biology? What are various strategies for identifying rules of composition ?
9. Is recombinant DNA technology going to be 'obsolete' in future ? Are we close to ordering genomes by email ?
10. Moving beyond Craig Venter's work, what are the key enabling technologies needed to compose organisms from scratch --- faster and cheaper ?
11. Does India need a Government policy on biosafety and biosecurity arising from the emerging synthetic biology community in our country ?
12. What would be an ideal course content to meet the future requirements of Masters and PhD students in the field of synthetic biology ?
13. Future job opportunities in academia and industry?
14. Do we need a regional iGEM competition in India and / or start our own version ?
15. Can we design a new programming language towards constructing organisms ?